Paul as chair of the CIWM Midlands centre and Leanne as one of the CIWM New Members Network Co-ordinators organised an event on behalf of the Midlands Centre which looked at the development of Energy from Waste in the UK. The event was hosted by Coventry University and a number of students attended. The event was held during the early evening of the 6th November and was well attended (approx. 45 attendees).
Paul chaired the event and Leanne was responsible for taking photos and updating the social media platforms. The 5 speakers took the audience through the complete process from initial planning right though to start up;
• Planning issues associated with EfW – Mark Parkinson, Staffordshire County Council
• Environmental permitting for EfW- Luke Prasky, Wardell Armstrong
• EPR Installations – Francis Nwafor and Colin Sully, Environment Agency
• Forming positive Stakeholder relations – David Spencer, Stirling Communications
• New EfW start-up – Alistair Walker, Suez
A question and answer session took place at the end of the event, lots of questions were asked and there was a lengthy discussion on the opportunities/limitations and lack of central government support for the offtake of heat energy at EfW plants via CHP plants.